Public Safety FAQs

The Department of Public Safety (DPS) is always available at 313-993-1234. For answers to common DPS questions, expand the sections below.

鶹ý: We have a 鶹ý' FAQ section especially for you, below.

For more campus safety-related services and prevention information, check out the links on the Department of Public Safety home page.

Frequently Asked DPS Questions

Open All | Close All

  • How do I report a fire, medical or police emergency on campus?

    For any campus emergency:

    1. Call 313-993-1234.
    2. Provide the location and nature of the emergency.
    3. The DPS communications officer will send the appropriate assistance.
  • Where are DPS offices? What are the hours?

    Office locations


    Campus patrol services are always available: 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.

    Administrative office hours of operation are as follows.

    • Fall/Winter: Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
    • Summer: Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
  • University ID cards: Do I need one? How do I get one?

    For everyone's safety and security, University IDs are required at all times for students, faculty and staff while on the University property. Failure to display your ID on campus may limit campus services, and could result in a conduct referral to the Dean of Students Office.

    To obtain a new University ID card, or replace a lost one, visit the Parking & ID desk in the Student Life Office.

    Lost your University ID?

    Please report lost ID cards immediately to DPS at 313-993-1234, to prevent others from gaining access to secured areas or using your purchased meal plan options. As with new ID cards, replacement cards are available at the Parking & ID desk in the Student Life Office.

  • Do I need a parking permit to park on campus?

    Yes. Parking permits are required at all times for every vehicle parked on Detroit Mercy property. This includes for all students, staff, faculty and daily visitors (including parents), even if the vehicle is only being driven temporarily.

    Visitors may obtain a daily pass at the entrance booth from a DPS officer. But for longer-term parking privileges (for students and employees), permits are issued at the Parking & ID desk in the Student Life Office.

    New students are required to register their vehicle at Parking & ID within the first ten (10) business days of the semester for which they are enrolled. The hanging permit is transferable to all vehicles driven by the student. If a student is found in possession of a faculty/staff parking decal, he/she is subject to a Code of Conduct violation.

    A completed registration form is required when registering, and the following documents must be presented:

    • Current state vehicle registration
    • State driver’s license
    • Printout of current class schedule
  • Can I park anywhere on campus?

    No. All vehicles must be parked in appropriately marked parking areas. Parking lot signs and curb stencils indicate designated parking. Some lots require a specific parking permit for that lot. Some parking areas are only restricted between certain times of day.

    Parking permits are handled by the Parking & ID desk in the Student Life Office.

  • What should I do if I'm uncomfortable walking across campus after dark?

    Always walk with friends, and park in well-lit areas. When these are not options, call DPS at 313-993-1234 for an escort on or near campus during evening hours.

    For more safety-related services and prevention information, check out the links on the Department of Public Safety home page.

  • Can Detroit Mercy officers arrest me for breaking the law?

    Yes. Although some people mistakenly think of DPS as a mere security agency, all our armed officers have completed the State of Michigan police training academy and possess arrest authority on University property.

  • Are drugs permitted on campus?

    No. The possession, sale, manufacture or distribution of any controlled substance is illegal under both state and federal laws. Such laws are strictly enforced by Detroit Mercy DPS officers.

  • Is alcohol permitted on campus?

    Only under certain circumstances is the consumption of alcohol permitted on campus. The legal drinking age in Michigan is 21 years old.

  • Are students allowed to have a firearm on campus for hunting or protection?

    No. The University is a weapons-free school zone and prohibits the possession of firearms on campus except in very rare cases. Individuals found violating this policy and law are subject to arrest and/or other University sanctions.

  • Where can I see crime statistics and other safety information?

    The University of Detroit Mercy Department of Public Safety publishes campus crime statistics in our Annual Security & Fire Safety Report, made available in September of each calendar year at If you have additional questions, you can email us at or call 313-993-1234 during office hours (listed above).

  • To whom should I report concerns/complaints about DPS?

    In order for us to better understand the community's perception of DPS services, it is important that we investigate reported allegations of inappropriate action. Sharing your experience and constructive suggestions will help us better serve our community. Each complaint will be investigated thoroughly and corrective action measures will be taken as appropriate. The Department of Public Safety will provide the complainant with notice when our process is completed.

    Concerns can be reported to DPS, 24 hours a day, by calling 313-993-1234. Or, during administrative business hours, you may visit or call the McNichols Campus DPS office at 313-993-1235.

  • What should I do if I receive a ticket/citation?

    Students can pay the ticket or file a written appeal form at the McNichols Campus DPS office. Failure to take any action will result in a hold on the student's account.


    Students who pay parking fines within 24 hours of the issuing date will receive 50% off the total cost of the citation. Fines are payable in cash or by check at the McNichols Campus Department of Public Safety 24 hours a day. Only payments by cash or check are accepted (checks should be made out to "University of Detroit Mercy"). To make payment by credit card, call Public Safety at 313-993-1234 during administrative office hours for further instructions.


    If you believe a citation is in error, you may appeal it within ten (10) days of the violation date. Appeal forms can be delivered to DPS in person or by mail. Instructions for appeals are on the back of the citation. Citations not appealed within ten (10) days are due for payment. You can download a blank appeal form or pick one up from the DPS office.

鶹ý' Frequently Asked DPS Questions

鶹ý should review the general DPS information above. Additionally, here are some questions and answers specific to Detroit Mercy parents.

Open All | Close All

  • How safe will my son or daughter be on campus?

    University of Detroit Mercy campuses are among the safest in the state. At Detroit Mercy, we are concerned about the safety of our entire community and understand that being safe means different things to different people. Some people measure safety by the amount of crime on campus. It is common that most university and college campuses experience less crime than their surrounding communities. We will continue to remind students that being safe is often based on common-sense behaviors and it is best to follow those well-known rules that their parents and others have taught them.

    Detroit Mercy Public Safety officers are proactive, conducting regular foot, bicycle and vehicle patrols of all campus buildings, grounds and parking areas. Residence hall entry is controlled by a card access system that remains secured year-round. Residence halls are patrolled and monitored 24 hours a day by Public Safety officers and/or Resident Advisors. All other campus facilities are locked and unlocked daily according to established schedules.

    Also see the FAQ sections above, "What should I do if I'm uncomfortable walking across campus after dark?"

    For more safety-related services and prevention information, see the Department of Public Safety home page and feel free to call DPS with any questions at 313-993-1234.

  • Are parking permits needed by parents visiting campus?

    Yes, and obtaining a visitor's daily pass is easy! When you arrive at campus, tell the DPS officer at the entry booth that you are visiting your student. You will be asked to present your valid driver's license. The officer will register you and provide you with a "daily pass" for your vehicle for the day.

    Of course, once on campus, only park in designated parking areas, and respect handicapped parking restrictions.